Global Awareness, Diversity and Cultural Sensitivity in the Classroom
As we prepare students for college and career, knowledge of the world is invaluable. What are we doing to foster global awareness and global empathy in our classrooms? What responsibility do educators in North Carolina have to teach students about the world? How prepared are our educators to understand and serve the students in North Carolina’s diverse school community? In this module, we will share ideas for global education and examine the Final Report of the State Board of Education’s Task Force on Global Education. We will also focus on the correlation between global education and the North Carolina Professional Teaching Standards.
1.0 CEU (general)
Alignment to North Carolina standards
- North Carolina Professional Teaching Standards
- 2. Teachers establish a respectful environment for a diverse population of students.
- b. Teachers embrace diversity in the school community and in the world.
- c. Teachers treat students as individuals.
- e. Teachers work collaboratively with the families and significant adults in the lives of their students.
- 4. Teachers facilitate learning for their students.
- d. Teachers integrate and utilize technology in their instruction.
- North Carolina School Executive Standards
- 1. Strategic Leadership
- a. School vision, mission and strategic goals
- 3. Cultural Leadership
- b. School culture and identity
- 4. Human Resource Leadership
- c. Teacher and staff evaluation
- NC Digital Learning Competencies for Classroom Teachers
- 2. Digital Citizenship: Teachers will model and teach digital citizenship by the ethical, respectful, and safe use of digital tools and resources that support the creation of a positive digital school culture.
- e. Demonstrate global awareness through engaging with other cultures via advanced communication and collaboration tools.
- 3. Digital Content and Instruction: Teachers will know and use appropriate digital tools and resources for instruction.
- c. Identify, evaluate, and utilize appropriate digital tools and resources to challenge students to create, think critically, solve problems, establish reliability, communicate their ideas, collaborate effectively.
- d. Immerse students in exploring relevant issues and analyze authentic problems through digital tools and resources.
Participants will create the following in completing this module, and
central office staff may, at their discretion, request these work products before granting CEUs.