Seize the Data: Empowering Teachers to Create and Use Assessment and Measurement, Part 2
This 7-week course is a Part 2 of a two course series designed to help teachers reflect on the importance of data and how they collect, analyze, and use it in their instruction. You must successfully complete Part 1 before enrolling in this course. Part 2 of this course focuses on the basics of classroom research and leads participants through implementation of the process with an emphasis on improving student learning. Additionally, we will explore the concepts behind standardized testing, and the types of data employed in North Carolina. The course should take approximately 20 hours to complete. Satisfactory completion of the course will earn 2 CEUs. Participants should expect to spend approximately 3 hours per week on course-related work. (7 weeks, 2 CEUs)
7 weeks, 2.0 CEUs (general)
Currently scheduled sections
Instructional goals and learning objectives
- Use classroom research to investigate effectiveness of existing processes and strategies.
- Integrate standardized test data with classroom assessment results to make informed decisions.
Alignment to North Carolina standards
- North Carolina Professional Teaching Standards
- 1. Teachers demonstrate leadership.
- a. Teachers lead in their classrooms.
- c. Teachers lead the teaching profession.
- 4. Teachers facilitate learning for their students.
- h. Teachers use a variety of methods to assess what each student has learned.
- 5. Teachers reflect on their practice.
- a. Teachers analyze student learning.
- c. Teachers function effectively in a complex, dynamic environment.
- North Carolina School Executive Standards
- 1. Strategic Leadership
- c. School improvement plan
- 2. Instructional Leadership
- a. Focus on learning and teaching, curriculum, instruction and assessment
- 4. Human Resource Leadership
- a. Professional development/learning communities
- c. Teacher and staff evaluation
- Unit 3: Harnessing Classroom Research to Improve Student Learning
- Unit 3 Overview
- Lesson 3.1: Asking Quality Questions
Discussion Forum: Research Questions (3.1)
- Lesson 3.2: Creating Credibility
Discussion Forum: Analysis of Student Writing Reflection (3.2)
- Lesson 3.3: Putting Their Data to Work
Discussion Forum: Classroom Research Project Plan (3.3a)
Discussion Forum: Classroom Research Project Results (3.3b)
- Unit 3 Data Literacy Development Meeting
- Unit 4: Using North Carolina Data Systems
- Unit 4 Overview
- Lesson 4.1: Surveying the Data Landscape
Discussion Forum: Find Your Standardized Test Data (4.1)
- Lesson 4.2: Digging into the Standardized Testing Landscape
Discussion Forum: Looking at Standardized Test Data (4.2)
- Lesson 4.3: Harvesting the Data Landscape
Discussion Forum: Using Data to Write A SMART Goal (4.3)
- Unit 4 Data Literacy Development Meeting